Many online publications have ad space for sale. If you do it right, advertising in a popular publication can be a great opportunity to increase your business.
Before buying ad space, be sure to ask the publication the following questions:
- How many subscribers do you have?
- On average, how many people open the email?
- How did ads in that position perform in the past?
- If people click on my ad, will you provide their email addresses and/or other contact information?
Use this information to decide if the publication is right for you. For example, if you find out the pub in question has only 32 subscribers, you may want to look elsewhere.
After you purchase a spot and run an ad, it’s important to know if your ad is working effectively. To do this, the publication should provide you with accurate, reliable analytics. Be sure that you receive the following:
- How many people opened the email?
- How many people viewed your ad?
- How many total clicks did the ad receive?
- How many unique clicks did the ad receive?
These are the numbers you really need to gauge how the ad is doing. For example, if you are receiving a high amount of views, but a low number of clicks, you may want to realign your strategy.
It’s also helpful if the publication reports the best-performing ad, as well as how many clicks that ad received, so that you can gauge how your ad is performing compared to others.
Have you advertised in online publications? If so, what was your experience? Let us know in the comments below.