Recently (see: last weekend), while attempting to dry my clothes, my dryer decided that it no longer wanted to turn its drum, but rather sit idly and taunt me with a humming noise for a few seconds, then proceed to blink its control panel indicator lights.
To get the error codes from my dryer, one must use a similar process to access the highest secured areas – you know, pressing multiple buttons at the same time, then turning a dial counterclockwise, then promptly pressing another combination of buttons. After getting into the diagnostics area of the dryer’s software, I found it was an E52 error. Having had some issues with the dryer in the past, I knew that this was indeed a motor error – as if the non-rotating drum wasn’t evidence enough.
The last time my dryer had a motor error, I called the company for a list of authorized repair techs in my neighborhood. I chose the one that was closest to my house. The repair tech asked me for the symptoms over the phone. He thought the dryer had just gotten too hot and to avoid damage, shut off. He told me to give it about 30 minutes and try it again. I hung up, waited 30 minutes, and sure enough, it started working promptly.
This time, I waited the 30 minutes. Nothing. Still producing the same result. Next, I tried a couple things I found on the Internet – reset the internal computer and then cut power at the breaker for about an hour. No dice. So, I did what I did last time, calling the same company. The tech got back to me within 15 minutes (it was a Saturday). He gave me a suggestion to try on my own and asked me to call him back if it didn’t work, as his availability was very limited.
I went to my dryer and gave the fix a try. Success! He had me open the dryer door, trick the dryer into thinking the door had been closed, start the dryer, and manually turn the drum by hand until the motor caught and began turning the drum itself.
This is the second time the tech helped me without collecting a single penny from me. He could have easily come to my house, charged me for a service call, did the little fixes and went on his way. He essentially lost about $160.
What he gained was a customer for life.
Because he was willing to share his knowledge for an easy fix for a very simple problem, he earned my trust and respect. He didn’t guard this information. He helped make a consumer informed. From now on, if I have any problems with my appliances, I will always call him and when the day comes that he actually has to come out and fix something, I won’t hesitate to write that check.
At The Simons Group, we do the same thing. We don’t hide information. We find that being knowledge providers builds a solid reputation that our clients talk about with their clients.
Personally, when I figure out a solution to a coding conundrum, I will post it on this blog in the “Chris’ Coding Corner” section. People who find this information may not necessarily become clients, but what we’re gaining as a company is a good reputation.
There is high value in reputation.
We’d love to hear your thoughts on knowledge-sharing. If you have any examples where you were seeking information or shared information that led to a new or strengthened relationship, let us know.